NYT on IBM GAK

   The New York Times, October 2, 1996, pp. D1, D8.

   Compromise Is Offered on Computer Security Codes

   By John Markoff

   The Clinton Administration offered a compromise to the
   computer industry yesterday by holding out the possibility
   of removing all export restrictions on data-scrambling
   technology for companies that accept a new approach to
   allow law enforcement officials to unscramble coded
   messages. The new system is being recommended by an
   alliance led by I.B.M..

   The approach is to be announced today and has passed muster
   with the Central Intelligence Agency. It would enable law
   enforcement officials to unscramble computer communications
   -- provided they have a warrant -- without having to obtain
   a mathematical key to the code.

   Instead, the agents could use the warrant to obtain the
   cooperation of outside parties to help unscramble portions
   of code accompanying a message. This information would then
   allow law enforcement officials to draw mathematical
   inferences enabling them to decipher the scrambled
   messages.

   By making it at least a two-step process to decipher a
   scrambled, or encrypted, message, and by requiring the
   cooperation of at least two outside parties designated by
   the code users themselves, the approach is supposed to
   address the main criticisms against data-scrambling systems
   previously endorsed by the Government.

   But some industry executives and privacy-rights advocates
   said yesterday that the new approach would not satisfy
   their objections to a Government-backed eavesdropping
   system. Critics contend that any such system could
   compromise the privacy of United States citizens and hinder
   the ability of American high-technology companies to sell
   their most sophisticated data-security products overseas.

   Executives of the International Business Machines
   Corporation said late yesterday that they were still lining
   up the final list of companies in the alliance. Those
   involved will include Digital Equipment and smaller
   data-security companies including RSA Data Security, Cylink
   and Trusted Information Systems.

   The computer industry and the Clinton Administration, as
   well as factions within the Administration, have been at an
   impasse for years over export policy for data-scrambling
   technology. Intelligence and law enforcement agencies,
   fearing that such technology can be used by terrorists and
   criminals to conspire with impunity, have insisted on a
   system for cracking the coded messages under certain
   circumstances.

   Seeking to end the deadlock, I.B.M. set in motion the new
   compromise earlier this year when it demonstrated its
   experimental approach to the C.I.A. Director, John Deutsch.

   Mr. Deutsch then took an active role in the internal
   Administration debate, in which Justice Department and
   F.B.I. officials had previously taken a hard line against
   loosening export controls, according to several people
   familiar with the talks.

   In a public statement issued yesterday Vice President Al
   Gore said that if the I.B.M. data-deciphering technology
   proved workable, there would no longer be export
   restrictions on the strength of the data-scrambling
   technology or on the type of software algorithms -- or
   mathematical formulas -- employed.

   The Administration is calling the I.B.M. approach a "key
   recovery" system. The designation is meant to distinguish
   it from previously proposed "key escrow" systems, like one
   called Clipper that the Government put forth a few years
   ago.

   In an escrow system, one or more Government or
   private-industry escrow agents would hold keys for
   unlocking coded messages, which could be used by
   law-enforcement agents with a warrant. The drawbacks,
   according to I.B.M., are that the storage of the keys can
   become a record-keeping nightmare and can also make the
   system vulnerable to unauthorized use of the keys.

   The I.B.M. approach is intended to eliminate this
   vulnerability by giving no third party an actual key to the
   code. Instead, at least two "trusted agents" would be
   required to help unscramble encrypted information in the
   header of each message. Only after this portion of the
   message is deciphered, I.B.M. said, would law-enforcement
   agents be able to unscramble the contents of the message
   itself by recreating the original key to the code.

   "Our theory is this should work the same way as your filing
   cabinet," said Kathy Kincaid, an I.B.M. computer security
   executive. "You wouldn't give law enforcement the keys to
   your filing cabinet unless they had a search warrant."

   And yet, even one of the companies that I.B.M. is counting
   on as an alliance member said yesterday that new approach
   did not go far enough beyond the old Clipper plan, in terms
   of privacy protection.

   "The Government announcement is disastrous," said Jim
   Bidzos, chief executive of RSA Data Security, one of the
   country's leading developers of data-scrambling software.
   "We warned I.B.M. that the National Security Agency would
   try to twist their technology."

   The Clinton Administration also angered executives at the
   software company Netscape Communications, who warned that
   even the new Government plan would continue to hinder the
   American industry's ability to compete internationally.

   Peter Harter, Netscape's public-policy lawyer, contended
   that the Administration was playing favorites among
   computer companies, rewarding those willing to go along
   with its approach by removing export restrictions that
   might be retained for companies not willing to incorporate
   the "key recovery" system in their products.

   "This is tantamount to making public policy by extorting
   high-tech companies," Mr. Harter said.

   But some computer hardware makers were more conciliatory.

   "From my perspective the process has been much better this
   time," said Eric Schmitt, Sun Microsystem's chief
   technology officer. "The question is still, 'How will
   industry implement key recovery?' It's still too early to
   say."

   [End]