Re: gack vs. key escrow vs. key recovery

Eric Murray wrote:
> Vladimir Z. Nuri writes:
> > cpunks, a note about recent developments in "key recovery" initiative.
> > is the government always going to be your
> > enemy, no matter what they do?

> It seems to be bent on doing so.

> > I have posted here before that many companies find the concept
> > of "key recovery" highly acceptable and even desirable. the
> > basic question is, what does this mean to wiretapping and
> > search warrants and subpoenas?

> They get served, and the keys are produced.  Same with personal
> crypto- if I'm in court and some encryped file that I have the
> key for is demanded as evidence, I provide the key or get
> hit with contempt of court, my choice.
> No one is arguing about that.  The objections to Clipper III are:

[additional text deleted]

Sounds to me like there's a need for a program that can produce secure
encryption, yet the output looks like "real junk", i.e., not anything
like what one of the *better* programs would produce.  Then you can
claim (with testimony of experts if necessary) that "I didn't encrypt
it, must be just garbage".  And even if you got some bozo govt. person
testifying against you, you shouldn't have much problem making them look
stupid and vindictive in front of a jury.