EUB Caution

The Times [Of London] October 11, 1996

Investors cautioned over bank on Internet

By Robert Miller

The Bank of England has issued a blunt warning to UK investors
to "think carefully" before handing over their money to an
offshore bank that is advertising for depositors on the Internet.

European Union Bank (EUB) is a tiny institution backed by
American investors and based in Antigua. Until last month it
was chaired by Lord Mancroft, 39, an Old Etonian. Lord Mancroft,
who confirmed that he had met Michael Foot, the Bank's director
of supervision, yesterday about EUB, said: "I understand their
concerns." He added that his contract as chairman of EUB had
expired last month.

The sharp warning to UK investors from one of the Bank's most
senior directors reflects the concerns of City watchdogs about
the possible proliferation of financial services being offered
on the Internet and which fall outside their regulatory scope.
If any such firm failed investors would not be covered by the
UK compensation schemes.

The Bank said of EUB: "This bank is not authorised in the UK
and has not sought authorisation. As with other offshore
deposits we would advise intending depositors to carry out
appropriate due diligence."

[End]