Re: [Noise] Re: Missionaries (was: "Mormon Asshole?" re: GAK)

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996 [email protected] wrote:

> At 01:04 AM 10/9/96 -0700, you [Paul S. Penrod] wrote:
> :
>
> :I suggest you [Alan Olsen] RTFM again. It was a commentary on the sad state of
> :scientific practice as germain to today's egomanical pirannah who inhabit
> :the domain of the "scientist". To publish is to exist, and the first rule
> :is "draw your curves, then plot your points." The second is "Thou shalt
> :not critisize your mentor."
> :
> :Save the anti-religion rhetoric for someone who gives a damn.
> :
> :...Paul
>

> Well, Paul, obviously you do. Otherwise why try to justify some thinly
> disguised pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo as "a commentary on the sad state of
> scientific practice."

No, I don't. I've heard it all before. I'm not interested in what you or
anyone else believes from a religious point of view - with regards to
this list. That's your business. What I object to is the automatic pigeon
holing that takes place the minute someone openly questions the religion
of scientific method. Suddenly one's percieved personal beliefs come
under negative scrutiny with the presumption that the accusor need not
answer to the same - because they are defending truth, honor and the
faith. Historically, it used to be called the Inquisition.

Pseudo-scientific? in what regards? Is Geophysics pseudo-scientific? Is
geology pseudo-scientific? I've been paid well to persue seismic studies,
plus other geological persuits under both categories for several years, so
I think I can argue the venue on the merits of accepted operation without
having to drag religion into it. Secondly, having some passing familiarity w
ith Alan Olsen's background, I am not aware of any paid or unpaid
experience in these fields of expertise.

> As Alan said, "I suggest you take your beliefs to talk.origins."

No thankyou. Take this private if you want to persue it further.

> BTW, what DOES this have to do with crypto, or privacy, or personal
> freedoms, or MORMONS for that matter?

Crypto - in an oblique manner, it hints at the blinders scientists can
unwittingly place upon themselves in persuit of a goal - especially when
that goal involves tenure. Publish or perish. Instituitonal offerings
many times can be inferior to private persuits for just that reason alone.

privacy  - this is what's at stake every time you use crypto. Can you
trust your tools?

personal freedoms - a broad issue that covers much more than just crypto.
How much history do you know? That more than anything else will determine
how willing you are to fight for your freedoms, and how fast you will be
willing to give them up.

Mormons - nothing.

....Paul