Re: Blinded Identities [was Re: exporting signatures only/CAPI]

At 04:01 AM 10/14/96 -0400, Black Unicorn wrote:
>On Sun, 13 Oct 1996, jim bell wrote:
>
>> At 04:28 PM 10/13/96 -0400, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
>> >It is unpublished, but he kindly allowed to me describe it in a paper I
>> >wrote that discussed whether a bank would ever want to take the risk of
>> >allowing bank accounts where it did not know the identity of the customer.
>
>> And I don't think that a bank can ever be embarrassed (assuming bank
>> accounts are anonymous) by it being revealed that some particular bad guy
>> kept his money there, any more than other cash-based (anonymous) businesses
>> are embarrassed if it is revealed that some bad guy used their services.
>
>I would refer you to Union Bank of Switzerland in the late 80's
>(kidnapping), BCCI (drug and intelligence money), BMI (drug
>money/offshore insurance fraud), PNC Bank (accounting fraud), and a host
>of others I won't bother to list.  Banks do suffer from these disclosures,
>in many cases quite severely.  (PNC bank was nearly ruined by their fraud
>harboring disclosures).

Are you talking about ANONYMOUS accounts, or merely CONFIDENTIAL ones?
(Anonymous accounts, as I use the term, are ones in which even the bank doesn't
know the owner.)  I think you're lumping these two things together; I was not.

Jim Bell
[email protected]