Re: Sameer should sue the SPA

On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Matthew Ghio wrote:

> Also, SPA is going after C2 because one of their customers allegedly
> had a link to a pirate site - but they have (apparently) not gone after
> the pirate site itself!  Could someone explain to me how there can be a
> finding of contributory copyright infringement, when there is no direct
> copyright infringement?
<snip>

The SPA isn't going to go after pirate sites because they're operated by
kids in basements who've got no money.  C2 has money.  The SPA likes
money.  SPA sues C2.  (I'm sure there's some formal sentential logic that
someone can post that will state this in even more succinct terms.)

The SPA doesn't care about what's right or what's wrong, or what's legal
or what isn't.  It wants money and it must not be getting enough from its
member organizations, so it's time for a few law suits.

|some people get by                       |        Mark Aldrich         |
|with a little understanding              |   GRCI INFOSEC Engineering  |
|some people get by                       |     [email protected]       |
|with a whole lot more                    | [email protected]|
|               -- Sisters of Mercy       |                             |
|The author is PGP Empowered.  Public key at:  finger [email protected] |
|    The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author     |
|         and my employer gets no credit for them whatsoever.           |