Re: Writing A Remailer

> > Hi all. I want to try to write a re-mailer that will run on my ISP's UNIX
> > shell account. I am familiar with Windows socket programming (C/C++) but
> > have never done anything in the UNIX environment.
>
> One thing to note, UNIX privilages, you would want to run your
> remailer as a deamon, a constantly running program(similar to a  DOS TSR
> or NT Service). I am not sure if your ISP gives you enough access to
> run deamons.
>
> Good Luck
> Michael Peponis

I think you would also be able to use Procmail and Formail (two UNIX mail
processing programs) to set up a quick and dirty remailer.

Procmail could be set to look at the headers of a message for something
like a header of "Remail-To:", or [REMAIL] in the Subject: header.  If it
finds this, it would use Formail to replace the headers with generic
information, put the specified address into the To: field, and send the
message on its way.  I don't really know if you'd be able to set this up
for chaining remailers or not though.

Zach Babayco

[email protected] <-------finger for PGP public key
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/4127
-----
If you need to know how to set up a mail filter or defend against
emailbombs, send me a message with the words "get helpfile" (without the
" marks) in the SUBJECT: header.  I have several useful FAQ's and documents
available.