Re: Prof Shamir arrested

At 03:00 PM 10/21/96 -0400, Jim Byrd wrote:
>At 02:56 PM 10/21/96 +0100, Tom Womack <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>>
>>A few column inches in the British Independent had Prof Avi Shamir (who I
>>guess is the S in RSA) arrested in Israel, on (I believe) suspicion of
>>involvement in a substantial fraud.
>
>The S in RSA is Adi Shamir.  Do you know if this is the same person? Do you
>have any more details?

Since we posted the item below to c'punks this morning, I see
that WSJ and Financial Times have stories on the News
Datacom tax fraud raid.

Perhaps Shamir has not been actually arrested, maybe only
implicated. Anyone in Jerusalem know more?

----------

   In a coincidence with the Biham/Shamir smart card attack,
   AP reports October 20 on an Israeli raid of News Datacom
   Research for $150 million tax fraud, allegedly because
   locally developed crypto products were smuggled out of
   the country. News Datacom develops and markets encryption
   systems for pay-TV based on Shamir's work, and he is a
   part-owner.

   Recall that Markoff's story on DFA cited Bahim's
   experience with pirate-TV and smart-card tampering.

   Financial Times ran stories last May about the company's
   financial derring-do, which we've placed with the AP
   report at:

      http://jya.com/keylok.txt

   We've also put the Biham/Shamir DFA post and NYT article
   at:

      http://jya.com/dfa.htm