Re: When did Mondex ever claim to be anonymous?

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996 20:13:04 +0100 (MET), Asgaard wrote:

>> I don't think spreading false rumours is a good idea - it can discredit
>> the spreader if anyone bothers to check any details.
>
>Disinformation is a time-honoured weapon in political struggle.
>A rumour is called just that because it can't easily be checked
>- somebody heard from somebody, who heard from somebody etc. The
>spreader is hardly ever discredited since he does not guarantee
>the validity of the information. 'It's just a rumour, but...'

And don't forget the old he-denied-a-wild-claim: "Mr. Politician denied
reports that he spent several days in the Lovebird Inn with a goldren
retriever, six gallons of coolwhip and a hoover vacuum."

#  Chris Adams <[email protected]>   | http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htp
#  <[email protected]>		 | send mail with subject "send PGPKEY"
"That's our advantage at Microsoft; we set the standards and we can change them."
   --- Karen Hargrove, Microsoft (quoted in the Feb 1993 Unix Review editorial)