Re: Anguilla is not Marxist!

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Vincent Cate wrote:

> You still assume that he was, at least at one time, into that and only if
> he had changed could he now be normal.  This is so bogus.  What makes you
> think he needed to undergo radical change?

Well, I suppose it's possible that he didn't know about the politics of
the university till he actually got there ... but highly unlikely,
because it is quite notorious. And he did stay there.

> Ok. I don't remember talking about competitive bids.  Not sure what
> Anguilla would be taking bids for really.

Asphalt for roads, as I recall.

> It just seems bazar to conclude that our Minister of Finance is at best a
> reformed Marxist without any more evidence than a name of a school he went
> to and a monopoly phone company setup by the previous government.

Fair enough (I guess). It's always enlightening to discover how one's
writing is read by others. This is why I ALWAYS submit my text for review
before sending it to the magazine.

> There are also 2 local private radio stations, 2 local private TV
> stations, and a private cable company with 40 channels (local adds but
> little local programming). If you only talk about the government owned
> radio station you make it seem like this is government is controlling the
> media or something.  It is not giving an accurate impression.

OK. I got my impression from the guy who runs it. Perhaps naturally, he
emphasized it more than his competition.

> The UK and USA also have government owned stations.  So what?  As long as
> private ones are not supressed, I don't have any trouble with a government
> owning its own radio station (and I am a devout Libertarian).

I do tend to be a little bit suspicious of any state-owned broadcasting
system (including PBS).

But this is way off topic for cypherpunks. Maybe we should continue in
email if we need to continue.

I do appreciate your perspective.

--CP