Authors: A. Fasbender, D. Kesdogan, and O. Kubitz
Date: March 1996

In this paper we present a possible extension of the proposed Mobile IP and route optimization protocols, the Non-Disclosure Method (NDM). It prevents the tracking of user movements by third parties and gives mobile users control over the revelation of their location information, according to their personal security demands.

We give an overview on Mobile IP protocols and briefly discuss these protocols in terms of security issues. We show that confidential location management in Mobile IP is an unsolved problem. Then we propose our method for providing untraceable communications in packet-oriented mobile networks. NDM is based on the idea of mixes, which has been suggested by Chaum for hiding the originator addresses of electronic mails. Our algorithm prevents the linkability of sender and recipient addresses in Mobile IP, can be easily adopted to other mobility supporting networks as well. We conclude our paper with performance aspects, discussing the trade-off between the level of security provided and the costs of NDM in terms of increased packet transmission delays. For this purpose, we present a new modelling approach for Internet connections, which is based on empirically derived packet delay distributions and their analytical description. Our results show that the overhead for confidential location management is not as critical as might be expected, and that a considerable delay reduction compared to mixes can be achieved.

[email protected]

[Previous] [Up] [Next]