Re: UK domestic crypto regulation proposal *is* Clipper

> I've seen several comments on cypherpunks that misconstrue the UK proposal.
> E.g. Phillip Hallam-Baker said:
>
> > First off the proposals are not intended as a Trojan horse for
> > the Clipper chip "or any other colonial scheme".
> > They are emphatically not trying to introduce a Clipper chip proposal.
>
> Unfortunately, I believe he is wrong.  It's worse than Clipper, since
> it outlaws the competition.
>
> The proposed legislation would make it illegal to offer the UK public
> any service related to key management, including simply signing
> peoples' keys, without being licensed by the state.

After making my first posting I re-read the last half of the DTI proposal
and came to the same conclusion as Gilmore. The first half explicitly
denies that they are enforcing GAK, then the specific legislative
proposals propose GAK.

Like much of the governments activities the DTI report is transparently
deceitfull.

Fortunately there is no need to get too worked up about it. Its a green
and these proposals will go nowhere if the Tories lose the election.
Since they are twenty points behind and curently facing fresh allegations
of bribe taking this does not seem very likely.

The current Home Secretary is a walking civil rights threat. So far he has
abolished the right to silence, to demonstrate and is haulled up in front
of the courts for abusing his office on a practically monthly basis. GAK
would be the least of worries were they to be elected.

Unfortunately his Labour shadow appears to have been trying to out-thug
him. If Howard proposed the return of hanging Straw would demand drawing
and quartering.

Since the Labour opposition have been the target of a considerable amount of
improper use of wire-taps and other forms of surveillance there are many
who are likely to be very usefull allies.

The real question is whether the pro-crypto message becomes widely known
before the civil service starts whispering in ministers ears.

	Phill