WebWorld 19

Title: The True Story of the InterNet

The True Story of the InterNet
Part II

WebWorld & the Mythical 'Circle of Eunuchs'

by Arnold

Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997 Pearl Publishing

TruthMonger

Jonathan rubbed his temples, for the thousandth time, leaned back in his chair, and rolled his head back and forth, easing the strain on his neck and back muscles, which were wound tight as a drum from endless hours of exhausting analysis of emails, CyberPosts, keyword searches and traffic analysis reports which stretched over the course of history starting with the birth of the Author of "The Xenix Chainsaw Massacre" and ending with the death of the CypherPunks.

Access to the Cowboy's files had led to a discovery that would have shocked both the Masters of Antiquity, and scientists and engineers around the world.
Apparently, HydroCube storage technology had been in existence for some time before its official announcement by BabyGates Technology. The Kid, as she was called, had been the daughter, lover, or employee of the richest man in the world, depending on which version of this era you believed. Her star had risen, even as Microsoft's star had begun to fall, mostly as a result of her development of the HydroCube, with its nearly infinite data-storage capacity.
Now, however, Jonathan was wondering if she hadn't actually discovered the HydroCube long before previously thought, and made it available to those working in the background on the InterNet, to fight against the monopolizing power held by government and large corporations during the early days of the CypherPunks.

And now, Jonathan had reason to believe that the Kid had actually been a member of the CypherPunks, masquerading under the pseudonym of Blanc Weber.
What's more, examination of her private email revealed to Jonathan her close connection to another CypherPunk named Alec, who, in turn, seemed to have some unknown relationship with the Author, since he had the Author's PGP Public Key for 'sog' in his pubring.pgp file. Possession of the 'sog' Public Key, a variation of the 'son of gomez' key, was very rare, as Jonathan had found in his data searches.

This apparent connection between the Circle of Eunuchs, the CypherPunks, and BabyGates Technology was the only explanation that Jonathan could find for the fact that he now had access to every bit and byte of data that had ever traveled the InterNet since January 19, 1997 AD.

Jonathan shook off his reverie, and returned his attention to the task at hand.

He was studying a trail of TruthMonger posts that had been sent to the CypherPunks and Freedom-Knights lists, among others, shortly after the CypherPunks list had moved off of the toad.com server, and onto several others, forming a distributed list.

The TruthMonger persona was historically known as the first multi-user pseudonym, one which appeared shortly after the original meeting of the Circle of Eunuchs, according to legend.
Once an individual had posted an opinion, using the TruthMonger persona, anyone who wished could follow up on that post, using the same persona. The only non-enforceable 'requirements' for using the pseudonym were that the first post should contain some element of thinly veiled humor, and subsequent posts by others should start out with logic and flow consistent with the previous post before moving in the direction of the current author's predilections.

Often, a series of TruthMonger posts would start out from one perspective, gradually move to its polar opposite, and then wind its way circuitously back to the original frame of perspective, but having gathered a much larger scope of perception along the way.
TruthMonger posts tended to defy any attempts at categorization by even the most proficient of traffic analysts, much to their chagrin. As well, other shadowy entities sometimes leapt into the fray, posting counterpoints to the TruthMonger missives, or doing a winding dance of agreement and/or disagreement with the various authors.

The persona was handy for those who sometimes felt the need to step out of their own skin and argue from a point of view which might be considered by some to be inconsistent with their usual personality. It was considered shallow and rude, however, for one to use the persona to reply directly to their own posts, although they could play devil's advocate against themselves if someone who supported their public position quoted them in a post.

And now, Jonathan found himself staring at a humorous spin-off in a series of posts involving the traditional TruthMonger posts, and some parallel posts by an entity or entities known as Dr. Roberts.