Re: Degaussing

At 02:17 AM 7/2/97 -0000, Secret Squirrel wrote:
>Could someone please point me to a FAQ or somesuch about degaussing
>magnetic media? Thank you!

Mini-FAQ:
1. How do I degauss magnetic media so that the feds can no longer read my
data?

You don't. That's why the feds themselves don't degauss their magnetic
media for declassification purposes. They remove the oxide layer. In case
of floppies the preferred method is incineration, in case of hard drives,
the usual technique is sandblasting.

--Lucky Green <[email protected]>
  PGP encrypted mail preferred.
  DES is dead! Please join in breaking RC5-56.
  http://rc5.distributed.net/