Re: Jim Bell reference

http://www.georgetown.edu/users/samplem/iw/html/iw_database_92.html

> Wow.  This is the most blatant propaganda I've seen in a long time.
> It's full of so much inaccurate info that it can't be an accident.

Gee, suprise, suprise. D.Denning is behind anti-encryption (anti
liberty) propaganda.

If you search the net for writings or speeches by Denning, and any
government reports about encryption,, you will find that she is the
source of most anti-encryption propaganda in the u.s..

She's about the only person in the field that I'm aware of that can
always be counted on to support the most restrictive government policy
possible. I don't know her personally, so I can't say whether or not
she has just sold her soul to the powers that be to insure continued
federal grant money. Perhaps she actually believes that restrictive
government policy is appropriate. I guess if they had more people who
wouild be willing to stand up for the government's position, it
wouldn't be so obvious.

> Their blurb on Bell says:
>
> "In his "Assassination Politics," Bell suggests that IRS
> agents are not protected against violent acts,
> because they have stolen taxpayers' money. He also
> initiates a betting pool as to what government
> employees and officeholders would be assassinated."
>
> If I remember correctly, Bell never 'initiates'[sic] anything, he
> just talked about it.

Yup. I've seen Mr. Bell's writings since he was on fidonet. To my
knowledge, he's never even =attempted= to set up any AP markets. His
idea was an interesting thought experiment that he because quite
enamored with. I can see why, as it has some interesting social
implications. Also, to my knowledge, it was origional with him.

> They cites a Netly News article by Declan McCullagh
> (http://cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/editorial/0,1012,800,00.html)
>
> Declan's article doesn't say, or even imply, that Bell actually
> set up his AP betting pool.  The "database" authors apparently
wanted
> to make a point by making his crime seem to be real, and were
willing
> to stretch the truth to do so.

Typical. They are attempting to establish an "official truth" they can
use to validate the government's position. The media is a willing
accomplice in this for reasons I don't understand, since =they= will
eventually be adversely affected by it all as well.

> Feh.  "Research" like this makes me puke.

Agreed. Unfortunately, it's all they have, and they have the means to
make people believe it is true.

Name: amp
E-mail: [email protected]
Date: 07/10/97
Time: 12:18:12
Visit me at http://www.pobox.com/~amp

'Drug Trafficking Offense' is the root passphrase to the Constitution.

Have you seen
http://www.public-action.com/SkyWriter/WacoMuseum