Re: Making Imaginary Sex Illegal

Alan Olsen <[email protected]> writes:
> Making Imaginary Sex Illegal
>
> by Ashley Craddock
> 12:05pm  14.Jul.97.PDT Is there such a thing as child porn which doesn't
> involve children? Logic would say no, but adherence to the rules of
> reason has never been a hallmark of the United States Congress,
> particularly when it comes to hot-button issues like child protection.

This has zero crypto-relevance, so I'll rant about the movies instead.

Some folks on this list may have heard of the book _Lolita by Vladimir
Nabokov, and/or seen the movie (directed I think by Stanley Kubrik circa
1965).  A couple of years ago someone remade the movie using a 14-year-old
actress.  Naturally, there was no sex.  Nevertheless every U.S. ditributor
refused to distribute the movie expressing the fear of being charged with
child pornography.

And of course you heard that _The Tin Drummer_, the German movie that won
the Oscar a couple of years ago, was seized in Oklahoma as being child porn.

Has anyone _not_ see _The Bridge over the River Kwai_? Did you know that
the sequel, _The Return to the River Kwai_, fairly successful in most countries
outside the U.S., was never released in the U.S. (in theaters or on tape),
perhaps because Sony owns the rights in the U.S. and found the movie
offensive to the Japs? (Wait a minute, that's not child porn...)

ObHack: Isn't child porn legal in some European countries? How about setting
up a (free) Web site someplace like Denmark with pictures that are illegal
in the U.S.

---