Re: Cypherpunk U

At 2:17 PM -0700 7/19/97, Nick West wrote:

>What are some of the better colleges/universities to study
>Computer/Network security at? I know MIT is a good one. Any others
>that aren't quite so hard to get in to that still offer quality
>programs?

Do you mean for grad school, or for undergrad work?

If the former, look for where the papers that interest you are coming from.
That is, whom do you want to work with? UC Berkeley is obviously doing
interesting work, Purude has some well known folks, and Carnegie-Mellon is
in the home city of CERT (maybe not a recommendation...). And Stanford is
always a hotbed. At least a dozen other places are doing fine work.

If for undergrad work, you of course won't have any exposure to speak of in
these areas, save for one or two courses. Maybe.

Ask Sameer Parekh why he picked Berkeley over MIT for his undergraduate
experience (apparently now on hiatus as he runs his company).

--Tim May