Re: Fw: Cops, Spies Fail to Slow Crypto Bill

At 9:17 AM -0700 7/23/97, [email protected] wrote:
>Excellent quote contained in the link below...
>"We don't give a damn about export policy," FBI
>Assistant director James Callstrom said. "We
>care about protecting people domestically, and
>we can't do that without wiretapping capabilities."
>
>Translation:
>"We know we can't stop crypto overseas, we don't
>believe the american people have =any= right to privacy."

This of course has been obvious for the past 4 to 5 years of the
Clipper/GAK debate.

Even when they are pushing for export controls, they really want "Key
Recovery" mandated. And they talk about catching terrorists and child
pornographers...catching them _in the U.S._, that is.

How export controls help catch domestic criminals, Mafia dons, etc. is
unclear to all of us.

And when people repeatedly point out that common criminals, terrorists, and
the like are unlikely in the extreme to escrow their keys with the
government...the government shills and officials are silent.

--Tim May