Re: Spreading Technology (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> Subject: Re: Spreading Technology (fwd)
> Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:05:17 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Mike Duvos <[email protected]>

>  > The SU(5) theory was arrived at by political contrivance in
>  > 1927 when the Solvay Conference was called to resolve the
>  > various theories that happened to be flying fast and furious
>  > at the time, instigated by DeBroglie.

> Excuse me?  SU(5) is a supersymmetric theory.  I seriously doubt
> it made its appearance in 1927.

I didn't say it did, I said the conference which decided what would end up
being the 'standard model' was decided in 1927. I further thought it was
interesting that the deciding factor was how the participants FELT about the
various theories and on NO theoretical or experimental evidence whatsoever.

The fact that I used the SU() symbology is a reflection of my thinking and
not history. When I took Engineering Physics from Sudarshin at UT in '82
that was what he used because he worked in particle physics. You are of
course free to use whatever symbology you feel comfortable with.

SU() is the symbology used by physicist as an extension of group
theory's U() symbology. The number in the () represents the number of
indipendant variables in the model and tells the researcher how many rows
and columns they need in their representative matrix.

SU(5) is the symbology used for the standard model of quantum mechanics.
SU(22), for example, is the commen "Super-string" theory that was of such
popularity a few years ago.

Glashow & Georgi developed the standard model representation in terms of
SU() in 1973. It has become the standard representation via group theories
for the standard model since then.

Bottem line, all cosmological theories that I am aware of can be mapped onto
SU() models. This is the power of this symbology in manipulating the models.

For those interested you should check out:

Particle Physics in the Cosmos: Readings from Scientific American
ISBN 0-7167-1919-3
$9.95

Pay particular attention to the explanation in Chpt. 4 (written by Georgi)
around pp. 69.

Particles and Forces: At the Heart of the Matter: Readings from Scientific
American
ISBN 0-7167-2070-1
$11.95

   |        /:'///// ``::>/|/                     http:// www.ssz.com/  |
   |                                                 [email protected]     |