Re: An Attempt to Hobble SAFE Crypto Bill

The more I look at this draft, the more gaping holes I see.

I do not think that it was ever intended to be enacted, but was rather
drafted simply to give cover to those who voted for the first
amendment, since they could then vote against this one.

Notice that it says that you will find the definitions in the Export
Administration Act, which I am sure, though I have not looked it up,
does not contain a definition of ``real time'', which seems to be the
key term in the draft.

But now that the first amendment lost, I suppose this could have been
leaked so that some other committee will vote for a compromise.

As I reread the proceeding sentence, I realize that I should have said
``proposed first amendment to the SAFE bill''.  We wouldn't want to
get it mixed up with the First Amendment, now would we?

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: [email protected]    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu