Re: An Attempt to Hobble SAFE Crypto Bill

Welcome to the USA...please check your keys at the door.

(Or you will be violated)

>  This means that if law-enforcement officials could not
>  crack an encrypted file within 24 hours - the time that FBI
>  director Louis Freeh and other law enforcement officials
>  say is reasonable for accessing information related to a
>  crime - that strength of encryption would be illegal. The
>  amendment set a civil penalty of US$100,000 for such
>  violations.

Defence counsel: Your honour the FBI agent could have cracked my
clients grocery list within 24 hours if he hadn't taken a long lunch
break at Hooters Topless Bar & Grill and not overlooked that he was
running his NifTY War3Z crAk3R v0.3 against the wrong file.

Prosecutor: Could not

Defence: Could so

Prosecutor: Irrelevant your auspiciousness, the fact is the grocery
list was not decrypted in 24 hours.

Judge: I sentence the defendant to $100 000 penalty or in default 15
years at a federal re-education facility.

Defence: But your worthiness it was only a $35 grocery list!

Judge: Anyone seen my gavel?
--
   .////.   .//    Charles Senescall             [email protected]
 o:::::::::///     [email protected]  [email protected]
   '\\\\\'   \\    <A HREF="http://quux.apana.org.au/~apache/">Apache</A>