Government takeover of the gambling industry

At 12:16 AM -0700 7/30/97, Anonymous wrote:

>  Youngsters on the list might not remember how private individuals
>involved in gambling used to be denigrated by the government as "the
>scum of the earth"--as "criminals" and "mobsters" and "evil."
>  Now that the government has hijacked the gambling industry, only
>those not paying the government their share of the "vigorish" are
>scum-sucking criminals.

It's the way of all governments. First denounce something, then co-opt it,
then get rid of the competition.

But imagine how this might rebound to our favor: suppose NSA
Microelectronics, Inc. finds itself limited in its sales prospects by the
NSA policies limiting electronics companies...maybe NSA Microelectronics
will point out to the DIRNSA that the nice flow of kickbacks to all senior
NSA managers will come to a halt if NSA Microelectronics is not able to
sell its crypto products domestically.

Still, better just to have a trial and then hang them.

--Tim May