Eternity Server 0.04 Available

I am pleased to announce that I have successfully installed Adam Back's
"Eternity Server" on my home page.  This server permits a user to
transparently browse Web content posted to Usenet in encrypted form in
newsgroups like alt.anonymous.messages.

Eventually, the Eternity Server will also serve web content from a variety
of more permanent repositories, like Altavista and Dejanews.

The Eternity Webspace is comprised of http URLs in a new virtual top level
domain, .eternity.  All documents are PGP signed, and posters may
optionally choose to have their domains indexed in a top level directory
under the URL http://eternity/.

PGP is used for encryption, and documents may require the user to supply a
password before they can be viewed.  Documents may also be encrypted
with the hash of the URL, so that documents are only accessible to
individuals who already know their names.

Although I expect most people will want to install their own servers in
their Unix shell accounts, I will leave my server open for a little while
so that people can play before installing the software.

To try it out, just select the "Eternity Server" link on my homepage

             http://www.zipcon.com/~enoch

In order that people have something to browse, I have seeded
alt.anonymous.messages with two virtual web sites.

The first of these has a URL of http://barney.eternity/ and is a single
document describing different ways one might kill a certain purple
dinosaur.

The second has a URL of http://boylinks.eternity/ and is a large index
of boy-related resources on the Web, recently made homeless by the
CPAC/Sewer people.  The authors have devoted their best efforts to make
sure this list contains no links to porn or illegal material.

The latest version of the eternity server may be found at Adam Back's
Web site and is called eternity-0.04.tgz.  You will need Perl 5 and
access to cgi-bin to install it.

The eternity home page is...

          http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/eternity

Included are the eternity server, written in perl, and a "sitegrabber,"
which can be used to post entire websites to Usenet.

Enjoy...

     [email protected]   $    via Finger                       $
         {Free Cypherpunk Political Prisoner Jim Bell}