Re: Tim Speaks the Truth / Re: Joichi Ito as a Junior Policeman

Unlike "Toto," who claims to be "Truthmonger," I speak the truth.

At 5:12 AM -0700 8/3/97, Joichi Ito wrote:

>so they probably are pretty militaristic), Japan does not have the
>equivalent of the NSA. It really is in Japanese national security interests

And what of Chobetsu?

Cf. Richelson's books on the world's intelligence agencies for discussion
of Japan's version of the NSA.

I also had a discussion with an NHK crew about Chobetsu and the coopeative
spying arrangements at the USAF base at Misawa. The NHK folks seemed to get
nervious at what I was openly discussing with them, and averred that such
things are rarely spoken of in Japan, at least not as openly as I was
speaking of them. (I showed them the sections Richelson had on Misawa, and
Seymour Hersh's revelations about the 6920th and the Naval Security Group,
Task Force 59, and complicity in the offing of Gough Whitlam of Australia.)

Wise up, Joichi. You live in society more totalitarian than anything we
fear. Japanese citizen-units under video surveillance and afraid to speak
out. And surveillance and espionage technology deployed by your fascist
governmet--a term I mean literally, not casually--will worsen things
dramatically.

The only "cooperation" with them is to seek their annihilation.

And nothing but mischief will come out any meetings with government on
"crypto policy," as their goals can never be our goals. At least in the
U.S., despite obvious flaws, we have a "Congress shall make no law"
provision which _tends_ to make government meddling in speech, such as
meddling in crypto, more difficult.

--Tim May