Old Cryto stuff,

Can anybody suggest any good books on old cryto techniques ?? I'm finally
learning to program, along with the stuff i've got to learn as part of
the class i thought i would make a start on learning to code
crypotgraphic algorithms. I was after some old ones that are simple to
code in software. Unfortuently the one in the back of the Schnier book
are a little to complex for my limited programming knowledge so far.

So can anybody help or will i just be ignored like i have been at other
times ?

Jason =8-]