Re: List Subscriptions / Re: Prior Restraint on Publishers

Prof. Tim May wrote:
> At 9:04 PM -0700 8/24/97, Anonymous wrote:
> >Tim May wrote:
> >> By the way, which list address are you now subscribed to...I switched from
> >> algebra. com to cyberpass.net, but now expect to see 2-3 hours delay before
> >> posts appear.
> >>
> >> (This applies to others, too. I'm getting replies to my posts, when sent
> >> directly to me, literally hours before seeing it on the list. Someone
> >> mentioned subscribing to toad.com, which, to tell the truth, I thought had
> >> vanished as a list origination site months ago.)
> >
> >If you subscribe to [email protected] you will get almost
> >immediate receipt of toad.com posts much of the day. Algebra.com is
> >generally only a short time lag behind, although this varies (and you
> >get duplicates of the toad.com posts).
> >The advantage of toad.com is that it gives you feedback as to the
> >time-lag of the distributed lists. The advantages of the distributed
> >lists is that you can change among them if one is temporarily having
> >problems.

Remember that distributed lists receive traffic from toad.com,
BUT NOT VICE VERSA.

> Ah, so when I send my messages to "[email protected]" they come back
> more quickly from toad.com? Somehow I doubt this.

I doubt that, too.

> I've been sending nearly all of my posts to either the algebra.com or the
> cyberpass.net addresses, and the toad.com address is set to expire, or so
> John told us when he gave us a deadline for finding another site. I've
> mentioned this a couple of times, and yet some of you seem to think the
> toad.com address is the preferred, fastest one.

It may be very fast due to the fact that not as many users subscribe to
it, but it does not carry the full traffic because no one feeds it.

> Would some of the operators of the distributed lists comment on the time
> delays, on the topology of the interlinked distributed list, and on what
> role, if any, toad.com continues to play in the process? Igor, Lance, Jim,
> John?

I am not even sure that the topology is known by someone. I can only
state that algebra forwards messages to ssz and cyberpass. I'll let the
other operators state their own connections.

> Posts like this one from Anonymous, while perhaps accurate (or perhaps not,
> I really don't know) are not as convincing as words straight from those
> involved.

	- Igor.