Re: System used for DSS (US Satelite TV)

> Anyone know about the security for the DSS system?  (A US satelite TV
> system with 18" dishes).  A buddy disconnected his for an extended
> period, and on plugging it back in, got all the channels for about 5
> minutes.

> So now I'm all curious if we can reproduce this.

> Adam

Apparently the content is not strongly encrypted in a way which requires
that one be a subscriber to recover it, since there is a "test mode" which
displays all the channels, including unassigned ones.

I've not seen a document describing their protocols in detail, however.

     [email protected]   $    via Finger                       $
         {Free Cypherpunk Political Prisoner Jim Bell}