Trademark lawsuit over key words in web pages

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 15:32:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Declan McCullagh <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Trademark lawsuit over key words in web pages

This is a fascinating lawsuit. Might keywords in web pages -- inserted
like tasty morsels to attract hungry scavenger robots -- violate the law?
Has trademark law become so broad that it violates long-held principles of
free expression? What if my web page criticizes, say, Microsoft's
alliance with Apple -- am I allowed to include "Microsoft sucks" as
keywords? Certainly in this case no person would confuse my web site with
microsoft.com -- but might a robot webcrawler?

-Declan

------------------

http://www.ljx.com/internet/

   Patents.com Sues for Trademark Infringement: Can a publisher
   infringe a law firm's trademark by including its name in computer
   code? A patent law firm is taking the question to federal court.

   New York based Oppedahl & Larson, which operates the Internet site
   www.patents.com, is suing five companies it claims improperly used the
   firm's name to draw business to their web sites.

   The firm is charging the companies and three individual defendants
   with unfair competition and trademark infringement for including the
   firm's name without permission in program coding for their web sites.
   Attorneys say some of the coding -- called a meta-tag -- caused
   Internet users looking for Oppedahl & Larson to be directed by a
   search engine to another company. [...]