Re: Clinton, Commerce, and Crypto scandal

At 3:07 AM -0500 9/3/97, Bill Stewart wrote:

>Tim Maier's Insight article isn't all that bad, but he obviously doesn't have
>a good perspective on crypto technology, and unfortunately none of the
>web pages involved contain good email pointers to their authors :-)
>	(On the other hand, one of the references said Dave Sobel has copies.)

Through FOIA litigation, we received a redacted version of a Commerce/NSA
document titled "A Study of the International Market for Computer Software
with Encryption."  I subsequently learned that the index of documents in
Ira Sockowitz's safe includes both the unredacted and the redacted versions
of this document.  It is wholly coincidental that EPIC was interested in
the same material as was Sockowitz -- we requested this document and filed
suit for it before any of the events recounted in the Insight article
took place.  In fact, we posted the text of the Executive Summary of the
study at our site in January 1996:

http://www.epic.org/crypto/export_controls/commerce_study_summary.html

Subsequent litigation resulted in the release of a *less sanitized* version
of the entire study in June 1996.

David Sobel
Legal Counsel, EPIC