Re: FCPUNX:FBI calls for mandatory key escrow

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, James A. Donald wrote:

> At 07:40 AM 9/4/97 +0200, Anonymous wrote:
> >  Who is going to stop them? They have the guns! When our elected
> > officials in Congress delved into the INSLAW affair, the Department
> > of Justice told them to "Fuck off." and refused to cooperate with
> > those who represent the citizens. Congress's reaction was to say,
> > "Yup. They're defying us."
> >  Ipso facto--Congress is not running the country. The LEA's are running
> > the country. Go figure...
>
> It used to be that normal federal agencies did not have their own goons.
>
> They relied on the fibbies.
>
> Now every federal agency is creating their own goon squad.  Sometimes
> they send in the goons to illegally enforce the laws that they are
> lobbying for.  Congress then has to make it legal, or crack down on
> illegal use of force by a federal agency.  Frequently they make it
> legal
>
> This is reminiscent of the latter days of the Soviet Union.
>
> Towards the end in the Soviet Union, armed government agencies
> would raid other agencies for valuables, and set up road blocks
> at random times and places, and confiscate anything valuable
> being trucked through by another government agency.  No kidding.

There is an interesting analysis of this process in the book, "The
Sovereign Individual".  They point out that during the end of one
mega-political age and the beginning of the next, the agency with a force
monopoly becomes corrupt in the extreme.  The authors define a
mega-political age as a fundamental change in the balance of power between
human predators and human prey.

For example, hunter-gatherers to agricultural to industrial to
cypher/network/informational.

Lets just hope the transition is as quick and painless as
possible.

Anyone have any background on the author's of this book?

Lord Rees-Moggs (and someone who I can't remember)

Jim Burnes