Re: Liberals and their tacit support for a national security state

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Tim May wrote:

> I'm beginning to think Federal Bureau of Inquisition Director Unfreeh must,
> as rumors have long had it, have the goods on Janet Reno and Bill Clinton.
> Left to our imagination what these items may be.

I don't know if I'd go that far. Though look at J. Edgar Hoover. Nixon
tried to fire him twice, asked him to come into the Oval Office for a
private meeting. Each time Hoover emerged unscathed, allegedly because of
the contents of his secret files.

The feeding frenzy and chaos in Washington after Hoover's death was, by
all accounts, amazing. Who would maintain control of his files?
(Ultimately, his secretary did. Shredded some, hid some of them in
Hoover's house.)

-Declan