Re: 767 MHz Alpha, opinion_mode_enabled (fwd)

At 9:37 AM -0700 9/17/97, Ray Arachelian wrote:
>I 'spose it's gettin' to be time that we ditched them 512 bit keys and
>them 40 bit keys. :)  The very existance of a 2.6GHz CPU - yes freon
>cooled is more than enough...

As Ray knows, processors are getting more powerful at a very slow rate.
Mere doublings and triplings in speed are what we're seeing in the newer
generations of processors. (And these require multibillion dollar wafer
fabs to build.)

A 400 MHz Pentium II, or a 767 MHz Alpha, or whatever, is significant for a
lot of business applications--faster transaction processing, better video
processing, etc.--but it ain't meaningful for breaking ciphers.

I predict DEC will eventually shift from the Alpha, despite its nice
architecture, to the Intel line of processors. Many of us believe the DEC
lawsuit, and Intel's countersuit, are negotiating cards in DEC getting a
better bargaining position.

>increases the number of chips that are "good" per waffer and decreases the
>finished chips power consumption and heat dissipation.  Other methods for
>dealing with CPU speed (which don't address power or heat directly) include
>using CMOS alternatives like BiCMOS and Gallium Arsenide.  Gallium Arsenide
>is very expensive, and the element Gallium is a rare earth element, so high
>production using it is not possible.

This is pure bullshit. The "rarity" of a so-called rare earths material has
nothing to do with the economics of production. GaAs is available. What is
important is that the overall knowledge about silicon production is so much
better, from a production standpoint. And that at small geometries the
distinction  between Si and GaAs tends to vanish.

No comment on the rest of the article, which is just speculation about
x-ray, nanotech, etc.

--Tim May