RE: Why the White amendment is a good idea (fwd)

On Thursday, September 25, 1997 11:34 AM, Tim May [SMTP:[email protected]]
wrote:
> The NETCenter is largely duplicative, though will be much less effective,
> than the NSA. I strongly urge Aaron and others to review the history and
> capabilities (and limitations) of the NSA.

Sure, it is duplicative.  However, for this thing to become law, I envision
a rather dramatic shift in the organization of our intelligence
institutions.  Or at least a change in some of the building names at Ft.
Meade :)

> (The NSA sometimes assists with law enforcement. But often it does not. I
> grant that a purely civilian codebreaking facility might once have been
> needed. But for reasons I'll get to below, it's much too late to start
now!
> And much too expensive.)

There is an exective order or presidential decision directive (pdd) from
the mid-80's that formalizes a "relationship" between the NSA and FBI for
law enforcement decryption.  However, I never was able to get my hands on
it ...

Aaron