pi == 3 [was: Re: Chutzpah! FBI Calls Privacy Extremists Elitist

> From:          David HM Spector <[email protected]>

> Re: Pi....
>
> I believe the enlightened Legislator who attempted to legislate Pi was
> none other than Jesse Helms (although this could be a legislative
> myth!) and when Ol'Jesse proposed it (because he was "sick of all these
> egg-heads with their big numbers") John Glenn said something on the
> order of ' if your legislation passes Senator, I wouldn't want to
> driver over any bridges in your state!'

> _DHMS

Not Helms, and not recently. From 'Extraordinary Pi',
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~nickjh/Pi.htm :

     Indiana State Legislature House Bill No. 246, 1897, set the value of
     Pi to a to 3. Duh !

     Actually the wording of the bill is really unclear and can
     interpreted in various ways. Other interpretations include 3.2, 4
     and 9.2376. The bill goes on in a confused way to contradict
     other areas of elementary geometry, and to contradict itself. It
     got passed all the way up to Senate level, then a Mathematics
     Professor noticed it by chance, informed the Senate, and it was
     posponed indefinitely at its second reading.

Peter Trei