pna.show_story?p_art_id=347867&p_section_name=Sci-Tech

   CNN Custom News logo
   [LINK]
   World
   U.S.
   Weather
   Sports
   Business
   Sci-Tech
   Showbiz
   Lifestyle
   alt
   On Target
   Customize Profile
   Help
   Feedback
   Switch User

   [ISMAP]

   InfoSeek

   [INLINE] September 27, 1997 3:22 am GMT
   [INLINE]
   Sci-Tech Title [INLINE] Ad Space ________________________    ___Word
   ___Theme
   ______________ Options [INLINE]

   The story below was selected from CNN Custom News - a new personalized
   service that delivers only the news that's important to YOU.

   Sign up now to receive your personal news stories, weather, sports
   scores, and stock quotes from over 100 different sources - all for
   FREE. If you're already a user, please login. Custom News

                    AOL MAY INTRODUCE ADS ON PRIVATE E-MAIL

   Reuters
   26-SEP-97

   HAMBURG, Germany, Sept 26 (Reuter) - The German unit of the world's
   largest online service, America Online, said on Friday it planned to
   boost advertising revenues and that its parent company may begin
   including ads on private electronic mail.

   ``We are optimistic that we will make a leap forward with our
   advertising,'' said AOL Germany spokesman Ingo Reese in a telephone
   interview with Reuters.

   ``We waited until we reached the critical mass of 400,000 users,''
   Reese said. ``Now we are opening ourselves up to the advertising
   business.''

   He said the company expected robust growth from the new ad strategy
   and added AOL had considered several possibilities for increasing
   revenues including placing advertisements in the form of graphics on
   e-mail between users.

   ``That is one of the most attractive venues for the advertising
   industry,'' Reese said, adding that 40 percent of AOL customers in the
   U.S. use it because of its e-mail capability.

   Reese said AOL had received positive feedback from media that carry
   ads and ad agencies on a presentation tour through several German
   cities with its U.S. marketing manager Myer Berlow, which ended on
   Thursday.

   He said the U.S. parent company receives 16 percent of its $2 billion
   in annual turnover from ads.

   AOL does not have any plans for major print or television campaigns
   for the online service, Reese said.

   ``We want to build up our own advertising business first,'' he said.

   AOL in Germany is a joint venture of American Online and the media
   company Bertelsmann . It recently took over its rival CompuServe,
   which it says will make it one of the largest Internet service
   companies in the region.

   Reese said the company had not yet decided how the takeover would
   affect its marketing.

   Search the net: InfoSeek ___________________ ____ [Help]
   [INLINE] Ad Space

   Top

   Copyright © 1997 Cable News Network, Inc. A Time Warner Company
   ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
   Terms under which this information is provided to you. [INLINE]