Re: quote

Zooko Journeyman wrote:

> I've argued with myself for years about whether the spread of
> the Net would connect these people back to their fellow humans,
> by offering uncensorable, violence-free communication channels,
> or whether it help them to make virtual communities consisting
> solely of people who reinforce their own beliefs.

> I'm still hoping for the former...

um, i don't understand why you think these are
mutually exclusive. it pretty obvious that
people with similar interests will get together
and form virtual communities based on common
values rather than physical proximity when they
have access to a communication
infrastructure like the net.

accidental and arbitrary interactions is the darker
side of brick-wall reality, the internet is the tech
to transcend it. when people have the tech they use it.

best,
vipul

--
Powell lingered. "How's Earth?"
It was a conventional enough question and Muller gave the