PARTY!

                          SANDY SANDFORT
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

C'punks,

Like Barbie says, "Math is hard!"  Below, is an invitation to my
next and best costume party of all time.  It even has the correct
date and everything.  Do come if you can.  It will be a doozie.

 S a n d y

                     AREA 51+ PARTY
                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

             The Pleasure of Your Company
            is Cordially Requested at the:

                    Third Occasional
                   Anarcho-Dilettante
              Pick-Your-Own-Damned-There,
             Masquerade Ball, Talent Show
                And Halloween Rehearsal

7:00pm Saturday October 18--3:00am Sunday October 19

             650 Kenwyn Road (at McKinley)
                  Oakland, California

        Loads of things happened on October 18.
       We're not going to tell you which one to
    commemorate.  That's up to you.  Check out the
 birthdays and historical events listed below.  Pick
      one or go with something else.  Your call.

      But no matter what theme you pick, it IS a
      masquerade ball, so you MUST wear a costume
         (or at least a mask).  NO EXCEPTIONS.

       (Please, adults only.  We regret that our
        house is very unsuitable for children.)

                   THE ENTERTAINMENT

  At 8:00pm there will be a Dance Recital featuring
         Rainbeau, Gracie, Tish and Blythe.
           You DO NOT want to miss this.

     At 9:00pm there will be a Guest Talent Show.
    If you can sing, dance, tell a joke or pull a
    rabbit out of a hat, we IMPLORE you to sign up
    for this featured event.  There will be prizes!

                    CALL FOR TAPES

    If you did not like the music at the previous
      parties, we encourage you to bring a tape.
         We will play them for thirty minutes
        or until those actually dancing revolt.
              The default music will be
       Digital Music Express Dance Music Channel
        (or 70's disco by dance floor request).

                      DOOR PRIZES

      Around Midnight, there will be a drawing for
          valuable and/or unique Door Prizes.
             (You must be present to win.)

                      COMESTIBLES

        There will be some snacks and soft drinks,
        but if you are really hungry, it might be
           a good idea to eat before you come.

                        B.Y.O.B.

      (Smoke'em if ya got'em, but outside, please.
          the house is a smoke-free zone.)

                         RSVP

     Whether or not you are planning to attend,
  we want to hear from you.  Please give the hosts
 a call so we can plan on your presence OR absence.

   Invited guests may bring additional celebrants
  WITH PRIOR PERMISSION OF THE HOSTS.  This means
  you must call a host and get permission for EACH
 of the people you intend to bring.  The house is
big, but it is possible to have too many attendees.

                      YOUR HOSTS

       Head Anarchist in Charge, Sandy Sandfort
            510-839-3441/[email protected]

      House Hosts with the Most, Gracie & Zarkov
              510-832-2044/[email protected]

    Web page host Sameer Parekh and C2Net Software
              510-547-3617/[email protected]

    P.S.  THERE WILL BE A LATE FEE OF 10 CENTS PER
    MINUTE FOR EACH MINUTE YOU ARRIVE AFTER 8:00PM.
 The party starts at 7:00, so you get an our for free.
        Late fees will be used to defray costs.
         (This is no joke.  More than $100 was
      collected at each of the last two parties.)

   Pictures from the 2nd Occasional Masquerade Ball
                    may be found at:

           http://www.c2.net/~sandy/web.htm

OCTOBER 18 IN HISTORY

This is "Any Way You Look at It" Day!

On this day in 1961, Henri Matisse's painting, "Le Bateau"
went on display in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.
For six days, nobody realized it was hanging upside down.

1842 - Samuel Finley Breese Morse, laid his first telegraph
cable in New York Harbor between the Battery and Governor's
Island.

1892 - The first long-distance telephone communication was
established between the mayors of New York and Chicago.

1924 - The term "Four Horsemen" was used in a "New York Herald
Tribune" article by columnist Grantland Rice.  The referenced
Four Horsemen were the backfield of the University of Notre Dame
which had beaten Army, 13-7.

1935 - Victor record #25236 was recorded this day by Tommy Dorsey
and his Orchestra. It would become one of the most familiar Big
Band themes of all time: "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You".

1943 - The first broadcast of "Perry Mason" was presented on CBS
Radio. In the 15-minute (Monday-Friday) shows, Perry was played by
Barlett Robinson, Santos Ortega, Donald Briggs and John Larkin.
Larkin played the role the longest and was reportedly very
disappointed when Raymond Burr got the gig on TV (1957).

1944 - The epic book, "Forever Amber", was published.  This
historic-romance novel was written by Kathleen Windsor. Although
the book was very popular among women between the ages of 12 and
24, it was considered scandalous to be seen reading it; a reaction
that lasted at least another three decades.

1956 - Football commissioner Bert Bell turned thumbs down on the
use of radio-equipped helmets by NFL quarterbacks.

1971 - The final issue of "Look" magazine was published. It had
been a must-see publication every week for 34 years.

1977 - Reggie Jackson made history and earned the nickname,
Mr. October.  Regg-a-roo (as Howard Cosell called him) hit three
home runs on three successive pitches leading the Yankees to an
8-4 thrashing of the LA Dodgers in Game 6 of the World Series.

1979 - Following extensive renovation to return Radio City Music
Hall to the look and feel of its 1931 Art Deco glory, the
venerable New York City theatre reopened. "Snow White and the
Seven Dwarfs" was the first live presentation.

1983 - Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton received some gold to add
to their collections --for their smash, "Islands in the Stream".

OCTOBER 18 BIRTHDAYS

1854 - Salomon Andree (explorer: ill-fated North Pole expedition)

1859 - Henri Bergson (Nobel prize-winning philosopher, author:
Creative Evolution)

1898 - Lotte Lenya (Karoline Blamauer) (Tony Award-winning singer,
actress: Threepenny Opera; From Russia with Love, Semi-Tough,
Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone)

1902 - Miriam Hopkins (actress: The Children's Hour, The Chase,
Carrie, Barbary Coast)

1906 - James Brooks (artist: Flight: 235 ft. mural at La Guardia
National Airport, NY; abstract expressionist exhibit: Ninth Street
Exhibition)

1918 - Bobby Troup (actor: Emergency; singer, musician, TV host:
Stars of Jazz; married to singer, Julie London)

1919 - Pierre Elliott Trudeau (Prime Minister of Canada)

1925 - Melina Mercouri (actress: Never on Sunday, Once is Not
Enough, Topkapi; Greece's Minister of Culture)

1926 - Chuck (Charles Edward Anderson) Berry (singer: Lifetime
Achievement Grammy; Maybellene, Roll Over Beethoven, School Day,
Rock & Roll Music, Sweet Little Sixteen, Johnny B. Goode, My
Ding-A-Ling; in film: Rock, Rock, Rock)

1927 - George C. Scott (Academy Award-winning actor: Patton;
Anatomy of a Murder, The Day of the Dolphin, The Hanging Tree,
Taps, Oklahoma Crude, The Prince and the Pauper, The Murders in
the Rue Morgue, Malice)

1928 - Keith Jackson (sportscaster: ABC Sports, Wide World of
Sports)

1933 - Peter Boyle (Emmy Award-winning actor: The X-Files; Taxi
Driver, While You were Sleeping, Young Frankenstein, Midnight
Caller, From Here to Eternity [TV])

1933 - Forrest Gregg (Pro Football Hall of Famer: Green Bay
Packers offensive tackle: Super Bowl I, II; Dallas Cowboys: Super
Bowl VI; head coach: Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals: AFC
Coach of the Year [1981]: Super Bowl XVI; Green Bay Packers;
Southern Methodist University Athletic Director)

1934 - Inger Stevens (Stensland) (actress: The Farmer's Daughter,
Madigan, A Guide for the Married Man, Hang 'Em High)

1937 - Boyd Dowler (football: Green Bay Packers wide receiver:
Super Bowl I, II)

1939 - Mike Ditka (Pro & College Football Hall of Famer: Chicago
Bears Rookie of the Year; Philadelphia Eagles; Dallas Cowboys
tight end: Super Bowl V, VI; Chicago Bears head coach:  Super Bowl
XX; TV sports analyst: NBC Sports)

1943 - Willie Horton (baseball: Detroit Tigers outfielder)

1947 - Laura Nyro (singer: Up on the Roof; songwriter: Wedding
Bell Blues, Blowin' Away, And When I Die, Stoney End, Stoned Soul
Picnic, Sweet Blindness, Eli's Coming, Time and Love, Save the
Country)

1950 - Wendy Wasserstein (writer: The Heidi Chronicles, Bachelor
Girls)

1951 - Pam Dawber (actress: Mork & Mindy, My Sister Sam)

1952 - Jerry Royster (baseball: LA Dodgers pitcher)

1960 - Jean Claude Van Damme (actor: Kickboxer, Universal Soldier,
Double Impact, Hard Target, Nowhere to Run, Predator II)

1961 - Erin Moran (actress: Happy Days, Joanie Loves Chachi, The
Don Rickles Show, Daktari, Galaxy of Terror, Twirl, Watermelon
Man, How Sweet It Is!)

1961 - Wynton Marsalis (Grammy Award-winning musician: jazz/
classical trumpet:  Think of One [1983]; played on: Father & Sons;
in orchestra: Sweeney Todd; composer: TV theme song for Shannon's
Deal)

OCTOBER 18 CHART TOPPERS

1957
Chances Are/The Twelfth of Never - Johnny Mathis

Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley

Be-Bop Baby/Have I Told You Lately That I Love You - Ricky Nelson

Wake Up Little Susie - The Everly Brothers

1965
Yesterday - The Beatles

Treat Her Right - Roy Head

You've Got Your Troubles - The Fortunes

Behind the Tear - Sonny James

1973
Half-Breed - Cher

Ramblin' Man - The Allman Brothers Band

Angie - The Rolling Stones

Ridin' My Thumb to Mexico - Johnny Rodriguez

1981
Arthur's Theme (Best that You Can Do) - Christopher Cross

For Your Eyes Only - Sheena Easton

Private Eyes - Daryl Hall and John Oates

Step by Step - Eddie Rabbitt

THIRD SATURDAY IN OCTOBER

Sweetest Day

Frabjous Day

Ironman Triathalon

MISC.

Persons Day (Canada)

St. Luke's Day (patron of doctors, painters, glassmakers, artists,
butchers, notaries,
sculptors)

Festival of Poetic Terrorism

Alaska Day

Pandrosos (Greek all-refreshing Goddess)

Great Horn Fair (Kent, UK)

National Chocolate Cupcake Day

Chile Independence Day

No Beard Day

Lukesmas

International Credit Union Day

Ivory Soap invented

1st Art school opened

Sandblasting patented

BBC Radio established (1922)

H.E.W. banned cyclamates

Brotherhood of the Cooperative Commonwealth founded (1895)

Puerto Rico became US Colony (1898)

Lincoln shaved off his beard

Hi and Lois comic strip began (1954)

Water Pollution Control Act passed (1972)

XYZ Affair

Citroen 2CV automobile introduced (1948)

Roseanne debuted (1988)

1st War Crimes trial began (1945)

Disney's Jungle Book premiered

John Lennon and Yoko Ono arrested for marijuana possession
(London; 1968)

Rules of American Football 1st formulated (1873)

US attacked Iranian oil rig in retaliation for gunboat attacks
(1987)

International Court of Justice at the Hague announced (1907)

UK declared Canadian women to be "persons" (1929)

Louis XIV revoked the Edict of Nantes forcing many protestants
(aka Huguenots) to flee France (1685)

Teddy Roosevelt is ridiculed in the press for inviting black
leader Booker T. Washington to the White House (1901)