RE: rant on the morality of confidentiality

The reason morality is impossible to nail down is because it does not exist al all in any absolute sense, at least as far as science is concerned.  If you declare, for example, that "murder" is "wrong" you are always left with dilemmas, such as whether soldiers who kill during a war are doing something "wrong".

According to the principle of natural selection, all people, including scientists, exist purely to maximize their own inclusive genetic fitness.  "Fit" means that an organism is well adapted to it's environment, so "maximizing inclusive genetic fitness" means having the maximum number of offspring which are themselves fit.

Keep in mind that all natural selection really does is decide which genes are allowed to propagate, and since genes are just digital information stored on DNA molecules, what we call "life" is really just a complex interaction of matter/energy which determines which bits of information continue to exist over time.

The underlying reason people benefit by promoting themselves as moral people, in general, is because of the benefit of what evolutionary psychologists call reciprocal altruism.  With reciprocal altruism, both parties benefit if they are in a non-zero-sum situation.  Because most situations are non-zero-sum and the benefits are so great, everyone has a stake in promoting themselves as a good reciprocal altruist, in other words, a good, trustworthy, moral person.  This is how natural selection explains the existence of the concept of "morality".

So it is a myth that scientists live to find deep truths or to benefit humanity.  They may do those things, but their real goal is maximizing their own inclusive fitness.  However, it may profit them if everyone else believes they live to find deep truths or to benefit humanity.  Natural selection has created human beings, and the concept of "morality" in our minds, because moral justifications benefit the people promoting them -- which ultimately benefits their genes.

The only way out is to believe in the afterlife, and religion, and that life has meaning beyond the genes and material world. Doing so doesn't make moral dilemmas go away, and you never know, people may just be believing such things for the benefit of genes, after all natural selection has no real concern for "truth".

Wayne