Re: proving that one knows how to break RSA

At 08:34 PM 1/18/98 -0800, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:

>I think this ought to be nipped in the bud right now if not true.
>I've heard rumors on this list about algorithms but attributing it to
>someone at Sandia is pretty substantial however I think DV's claim
>above sounds totally bogus. if anyone else can comment please do.
>I don't so much want to know whether he has discovered an algorithm
>at this point, only whether someone at Sandia claims to have
>discovered a fast factoring algorithm. after that-- well, what
>exactly is "fast"?

Payne's previous claims were examined on one of the other crypto lists a
few months ago.  (Actually "ripped apart" is a better term.)  Wei Dei and a
few others examined the mathmatical basis of his "break" of RSA.  Turns out
that is is not nearly the shortcut claimed.  (Actually not a shortcut at all.)

Based on that previous experience, I would be very suspect of such a claim
from Mr. Payne without any proof.

---
|              "That'll make it hot for them!" - Guy Grand               |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l [email protected]` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |[email protected]|