How to eliminate liability?

This is just an idea I thought I would throw out and see what happens.
There has been considerable discussion recently about datahavens, how no
one physical location in meatspace is safe, and how there is no single
place on earth that a datahaven could exist that would accept all kinds
of information.

Well, what about spreading the information out?  Something simple like
doing a matrix rotation on the scrambled data in 8 byte blocks and
splice it by bit to split the data up, add ECC (error correction code)
to it, and spread it to several servers.  This way no one server has all
the information necessary to recreate the "offending" information and if
one server gets "hit" (killed), the information can still be regenerated
from the the information and ECC from the other servers.

The bit splitting I'm talking about would go something like this.  The
data would be set up in clusters of eight bytes and then these eight
bytes would be rotated, error correction applied, divided byte by byte
to separate queues (for separate destinations), resequenced to include
the ECC overhead, and sent on it's merry way.

Original encrypted information:

Cluster A               Cluster B...
Byte 1: 01001011
Byte 2: 10101110
Byte 3: 10010110
Byte 4: 10110111
Byte 5: 01011100
Byte 6: 10111011
Byte 7: 10001101
Byte 8: 00110110

After the matrix rotate:

Cluster A               Cluster B...
Byte 1: 01110110
Byte 2: 10001000
Byte 3: 01010101
Byte 4: 00111101
Byte 5: 11001110
Byte 6: 01111011
Byte 7: 11110101
Byte 8: 10010110

Add ECC:

Cluster A               Cluster B...
Byte 1:   01110110 1
Byte 2:   10001000 0
Byte 3:   01010101 0
Byte 4:   00111101 1
Byte 5:   11001110 1
Byte 6:   01111011 0
Byte 7:   11110101 0
Byte 8:   10010110 0

ECC byte: 01000000 0

Divided up:

Cluster A         ECC-A  Cluster B ECC-B
Byte 1: 01110110  1      10100011  0

Resequenced into separate queues by byte in cluster:

01110110 11010001 10......

...and distributed to the servers.

These are just my ramblings, I'm not a programmer (or at least I haven't
been for a long time).  Nor do I claim to know if this form of
distribution will escape the legal issues of storing certain data on on
servers in specific areas of meatspace (I'm no lawyer (kill the
lawyers)).  At the very least, it seems that this scheme (or something
like it, if this form of ECC is not sufficient) could be used to keep
data from being lost if one or more servers gets whacked by armed forces
or a nuclear bomb.  I'm not even going to think about how this data
could be distributed.  You guys can do that...

Feedback and flames welcome.

John

[email protected]