Re: Video & cryptography...

Schneier, Wagner and Kelsey have done some work on an authenticating
camera.

One issue to be concerned with is that what the camera sees is not
always the truth.  Putting a film set together to film bigfoot is
easy.  The fact that the film is authenticated as having come from the
camera doesn't mean a whole lot in some cases.

Adam

Jim Choate wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I was in a discussion with several people regarding the rate if improvement
| of current video production equipment and how it would effect the veracity
| of video images of all sorts in future legal cases.
|
| Is anyone aware of anybody working on a mechanism to digitaly sign video and
| photographs (a cool app of stego I suspect)? This would alleviate a great
| deal of mistrust for security video cams and such. What I had in mind was
| the manufacturer puts a unique key in each machines rom's and when each
| image comes in a signature of the image and the key is stored in the
| interframe retraces that are normaly not shown (ala videotext). I asked a
| couple of people in the biz that I know and it seemed a new concept to them.
|
| Just a thought...
|

|     ____________________________________________________________________
|    |                                                                    |
|    |       The most powerful passion in life is not love or hate,       |
|    |       but the desire to edit somebody elses words.                 |
|    |                                                                    |
|    |                                  Sign in Ed Barsis' office         |
|    |            _____                             The Armadillo Group   |
|    |         ,::////;::-.                           Austin, Tx. USA     |
|    |  -====~~mm-'`-```-mm --'-                         Jim Choate       |
|    |                                                 [email protected]     |
|    |                                                  512-451-7087      |

					               -Hume