Re: Another question about free-markets... (fwd)

On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 07:12:55AM -0500, Jim Choate wrote:

> > From: Steve Mynott <[email protected]>
>
> > On Sun, Oct 04, 1998 at 11:53:28PM -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
> >
> > > Now in a free-market, by definition, there is no law. What then is the
> >
> > no in a free market there is no state
> >
> > there are laws based on natural rights
>
> Ok, who writes the laws? Who enforces the laws? Who decides what is natural?

whoever in a market by the division of labour finds it profitable will
write and enforce the laws

see David Friedman's

http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Libertarian/Machinery_of_Freedom/MofF_Chapter_29.html

for an explanation of how private courts and police could work

"Natural Law theory rests on the insight... that each entity has
distinct and specific properties, a distinct "nature", which can be
investigated by man's reason"  -- Murray N. Rothbard

> Remember, we have *NO* participants in a free market other than the producer
> and the consumer. Two, and *only* two, parties are involved.

thats how economic thinking starts, or rather should start, and then
the economy is an array of these individual transactions..

police and courts provide a "middle man" function, so you would need
three participants

--
pgp 1024/D9C69DF9 1997/10/14 steve mynott <[email protected]>

    the first duty of a revolutionary is to get away with it.
        -- abbie hoffman