IP: ** National ID Alert - Again **

From: Patrick Poole <[email protected]>
Subject: IP: ** National ID Alert - Again **
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:08:54 -0400
To: [email protected]

We have been made aware by concerned staff members on the Hill that the
one-year moratorium on implementing the National ID regulations is once
again under attack from Rep. Lamar Smith. Not more than a week ago we
sent out a similar alert after Smith was successful in convincing
Speaker Gingrich to remove the provision from the bill. After our alert,
many of you called Speaker Gingrich and told him "No to the National
ID". Because of your prompt action and phone calls, he was forced to
back down and allow the moratorium provision in the Omnibus
Appropriations Act for FY99.

Now, in the waning hours of the 105th Congress, Gingrich is wavering on
the issue and considering pulling the one-year moratorium from the bill
at Smith's request. We need your help to stop Lamar Smith's stealth
attacks on our freedoms by calling his office and Speaker Gingrich and
telling them both, "No National ID for the American people!" The bill
will probably come to a vote in the House TODAY. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT
YOU * CALL * THEIR OFFICES. With all of the last minute legislative
activity occurring today, a phone call will be the only way that your
voice is heard on this matter.

Lamar Smith 		202/225-4236
Speaker Gingrich 	202/225-0600

Thanks in advance for your prompt attention.

Patrick Poole
Coalition for Constitutional Liberties
Free Congress Foundation