Sniper Kills N.Y. Abortion Provider

October 24, 1998
Sniper Kills N.Y. Abortion Provider
Filed at 2:48 p.m. EDT
By The Associated Press

AMHERST, N.Y. (AP) -- A sniper killed a doctor who performs abortions, firing through the physician's kitchen window -- the first fatality among five sniper attacks on upstate New York or Canadian abortion providers in the last four years.

[...]

Before Slepian, three Canadian doctors and a doctor near Rochester, N.Y., were shot and wounded since 1994. In each case, the doctors were fired upon with a high-powered rifle through windows in their homes. Canadian and American authorities issued safety tips to doctors on Tuesday.

[snip...]

A question for Mr. May. Many years ago, a friend and I were targeting his new .223 at a rifle range in upstate NY, near Fairhaven. On leaving, we discarded evidence of our lack of marksmanship in the trash. The bin was full of pictures of windows, pulled from magazines and catalogs, that had been used as targets. I don't remember abortionists being in any of the photos. My friend said using photos in such a way was not unusual, but it gave me a bit of the creeps. Windows as targets?