Airline ID Checking (was: RE: your mail)

Does anyone know what the airlines do with the info they collect off the ID?
Are they just noting whether the names match, or is it more sinister?

When I was below legal drinking age (21 in my state) I would drive up to the
window (how barbaric!  liquor sales to guys in cars!) and give the
sub-moronic guy my REAL ID under the assumption that:  he expects it to say
something that proves I am over age, or else why would I be handing it to
him? [nicely enough, this shifts all of the risk of the transaction to him,
should it go wrong.]

Similarly, if you booked a flight under the name Nevah Umind, when you hand
over a piece of ID, they look to see it says Nevah Umind (unless, of course,
your name happens to be Nevah Umind) and that's all they want, right?

And if we all booked flights under the same name, then wouldn't that throw
'em WAY off?  Pick a name, DON'T scan your license in, DON'T edit it, DON'T
laminate it, and (for pete's sake!) DON'T use that name.  Their querying
will tell them, "I have a match, he's okay" (These are not the droids you
are looking for, eh!) and away you go!