Re: TEMPEST laptops (fwd)

At 1:11 AM -0500 11/5/98, Jim Choate wrote:
> [...]

	And both Lasers and Masers scatter under certain conditions. If you
can see the laser, it is scattering a bit of [energy light photons]

	That is what Mr. May is talking about.

	I was under the (apparently false) impression that things like
animal bodies, and ordinary building materials (like wood, Lathe &
plaster/drywall) wouldn't stop or significantly bounce the beams back the
way you didn't want them to go.

	I was thinking more of controling the direction of the RF, rather
than trying to completely supress it.

	It doesn't appear that will work.

>> Microwave ovens work by having the waves bounce around inside a box. Any
>> significant hole or crack (up to roughly half the wavelength) would let the
>> waves out.
>
>Depends on the size of the hole and location. In most microwave ovens there
>are definite dead-spots (corners and the exact center of the area are
>notorius).

	We're not cooking Hotdogs here, and we aren't using (for the most
part) microwaves. Yes, you can heat a hotdog on a PII, but that is more
from heat radiation than RF.

	Microwave ovens also leak RF.
--
"To sum up: The entire structure of antitrust statutes in this country is a
jumble of economic irrationality and ignorance. It is a product: (a) of a

Petro::E-Commerce Adminstrator::Playboy Ent. Inc.::[email protected]