verisign digital id's for outlook <shudder>

A quick question for all you security-savvy people.  Our IT instructor has
asked the class to sign up for verisigns' 60-day trial of a class 1 digital
id.

pfaugh.  give me a copy of PGP anyday!  at least I can (easily) take my
keys with me!

I also understand that a well (poorly?) written activeX applet can grab my
key basically without my knowledge (to speak nothing of the other myriad
holes in win98/95)

My question is, where the hell is the private key kept on the users box?
How is it protected against attack? I had to voice my displeasure with the
instructor that I could not take the ID with me on a floppy so that the
night class would not have potential access, but got the usual 'it is
secure enough, let it be' attitude.

Thanks in advance for any information!

 james 'keith' thomson <[email protected]>  www.bigfoot.com/~ceildh
 jkthomson:C181 991A 405C EAFB 2C46 79B5 B1DC DB78 8196 122D [06.07.98]
 ceildh   :1D79 59AF ED75 5945 6003 8240 DA34 ACCA 9DE4 6BC9 [05.14.98]
 ICQ:354111 <keys> at pgp.mit.edu     ...and former sysop of tnbnog BBS
"You shouldn't overestimate the IQ of crooks." - Stuart Baker, of NSA
explaining why crooks and terrorists who are smart enough to use data
encryption would be stupid enough to choose DES