RE: Quick, Dear -- Beat Me

>From: "Lynne L. Harrison" <[email protected]>
>Subject: RE: Quick, Dear -- Beat Me
>At 10:47 AM 11/5/98 -0500, Petro wrote:

>>At 12:08 AM -0500 11/5/98, Blanc wrote:
>>>From Duncan Frissell:
>>>
>>>I just went to the bank I do business with this week to open a new account.
>>>They wanted my social security number, (which they actually already have on
>>>record), and during a search on her handy database, the Customer Assistance
>>>clerk informed me that there was another person in Florida using the same
>>>number.

Long list of problems which could result from someone using your SSN snipped...

>All in all, you should seriously reconsider your decision of not reporting
>the problem.

So much for the SSN "never" becoming a national ID number!

Since your SS account and pension can be negatively impacted, this tends to reinforce the idea that your SSN should be a secret. But how can we keep it a secret if they keep putting it on public documents such as drivers licenses? Seems to me that when they are all done making the SSN the official National ID number they will need to give us a NEW SSN that is secret, kind of like a PIN to unlock and validate our National ID and SS accounts.

...and latter a PIN to protect the PIN...

APF