DCS-NY: Dec. 15 Meeting: Win Treese of Open Market

--- begin forwarded text

To: "recipient list suppressed" <[email protected]>
Subject: DCS-NY: Dec. 15 Meeting: Win Treese of Open Market
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email protected]>
Date: 17 Nov 1998 12:54:49 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

[If you know of people who may be interested in this meeting, please
feel free to forward this message to them.]

The next luncheon meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of New
York (DCS-NY), will be held on Tuesday, December 15th at 12:00. If you
are interested in attending, please RSVP and send in your check (as
explained below) as soon as possible. [Note: This month, DCS-NY will
be on the third Tuesday of the month, not the second, because of
scheduling conflicts.]

This Month's Luncheon Talk:

	        Does Internet Commerce Really Need a PKI?
			        Win Treese
		       Corporate Systems Architect
			    Open Market, Inc.
			  [email protected]

  It is now commonplace to claim that a "good PKI" [Public Key
  Infrastructure] is the technology that will enable the widespread
  growth of Internet commerce. But what does Internet commerce need
  from a PKI? Based on our experiences with many kinds of businesses,
  we will examine some of the real-world security requirements and how
  public-key systems may be appropriate or inappropriate solutions to
  those problems.

  Win Treese is Corporate Systems Architect at Open Market, Inc.,
  (http://www.openmarket.com) a leading vendor of software for Internet
  commerce. At Open Market, he has worked on many different products
  and systems, with a particular focus on security for commerce applications.
  He has previously worked at Digital Equipment Corporation's Cambridge
  Research Lab and at MIT's Project Athena. He is co-author of the book
  "Designing Systems for Internet Commerce" (http://www.treese.org/Commerce).
  In addition, he chairs the IETF Working Group on Transport Layer
  Security (TLS), and is program chair for the 8th USENIX Security Symposium
  (http://www.usenix.org/events/sec99/).

WHAT IS DCS-NY?

The Digital Commerce Society of New York (DCS-NY) is a spin-off of
DCS-Boston (DCSB).  We meet once a month for lunch at the Harvard Club
of New York -- usually on the second Tuesday of the month -- to
explore the implications of rapidly emerging internet and
cryptographic technologies on finance and commerce.

If you are interested in attending our next luncheon meeting, please
follow the directions located below. If you merely wish to be added to
our e-mail meeting announcements list, you may send your e-mail
address to "[email protected]".

Perry

PS We would like to thank John McCormack for his invaluable assistance in
procuring the venue for our meetings.

HOW TO RSVP:

The meeting will start at 12:00 noon on December 15th at the Harvard Club,
which located at 27 West 44th St. in Manhattan.

The cost of the luncheon is $49.00.

To RSVP, please:
A) Send a check for $49.00 (payable to "The Harvard Club of New York") to:

	Harry S. Hawk
	DCS-NY LUNCHEON
	Piermont Information Systems, Inc.
	175 Adams St., #9G
	Brooklyn, New York  11201

Please include along with your check:
1) The name of the person attending
2) Their daytime phone number
3) Their e-mail address

B) Send an email message to [email protected] indicating that
you have sent your check. The receipt of your check is your actual RSVP.
We use the email to insure that nothing gets lost in the mail. You will
get email from us once the check is received.

Making final arrangements for our room requires that we have a good
idea of how many attendees we will have. Because of this, it is very
important that you RSVP quickly so that we will be able to get a
larger room if necessary. All checks must be received no later than
Friday December 11th. If you are uncertain that your check will arrive
by the correct date, please use a messenger or express mail service.

The late fee is $75 per person paid with a corporate check or money
order. We will always try to accommodate everyone we can, even at the
last minute. However, we can not guarantee that those who have not
RSVPed will be seated. *Please* try to RSVP.

Please note that the Harvard Club dress code requires jacket and tie
for men and comparable attire for women.

If you have special dietary requirements, please check with us by
email before you RSVP.

We are looking forward to seeing you!

Perry

--- end forwarded text

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: [email protected]>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA