    Date: 20 Mar 1995 12:22:37 -0500
    From: [email protected] (Ian Oostindie)
    Subject: Why 1 is prime

            My friend, Roger Gillies told me he received some
    useful math information from you and gave me your e-mail
    address.  I thought of you when a grade six student stumped
    me with a classic.  Well, at least a classic in my mind.

            Just recently a grade six student asked me "Why is 1
    not considered prime?"  I tried to answer but as usual
    could not since I do not understand this either.  I thought
    it may lie in the fact that "we" don't use the true definition
    or we are interpreting it wrong.  A prime is normally
    described as a number that can be expressed by only one and
    itself.  We exclude all non-natural numbers from the set that
    we will be working on and then everything is fine except for
    when we work with 1.

            1 = 1 x 1.  That is, one equals 1 times itself and there
    is no other combination.

            Now to the grade six student in Faro Yukon, I said
    there may be a small print clause in the contract with the
    math gods that says you can only write it once since 1 also
    equals 1x1x1x1x...   This would not work for other primes
    such as two: 2 does not equal 1x2x2x2x...  Likewise, 3 does
    not equal 1x3x3x3x...

            Patterns are very important to mathematics, I further
    explained, and this is a pattern I see being broken.  I showed
    this in a slightly different way to the grade sixer but in
    essence the same.

            My question to you, Dr. Math, is what is the small print
    in the contract with the Math gods and how do we explain it
    to the grade six kids that are supposed to know it?

            Thank you very much for any consideration you make.